GODDAMN THIS FREAKING STAFF. SO MUCH MILLIPUT. SO. MUCH. MILLIPUT.
I actually made this back in December for my friend Martin's Xmas panto, since they were doing Aladdin. I wasn't happy with the original version
for various reasons, the Milliput wasn't smooth enough, the gold was pretty flat because I hadn't had time to ink or varnish it, so I gave it a rehaul after the show.
This started out as a pound shop mop, luckily the head unscrewed so it came off pretty easily, I sawed off most of the plastic tip but I left about an inch on the end so it could still be banged on the floor without the wood splitting. The snake head is made of approximately 5-6 packs of Milliput of various grades (because I kept running out of the green) sculpted onto a core of brass rod, tinfoil and wire mesh. The eyes are glass, I would have liked them to be larger but the ones I used were the best size I could find, everything else I found was either too big or too small. (seriously, nowhere in Glasgow seems to sell 20mm glass rounds...)
For once this was NOT painted with Citadel acrylics, mainly because good god that would be a lot of Shining Gold. I used Daler Rowney System 3 acrylics instead, and used Liquitex ink mixed with some Golden Acrylics interference gold for the wash. It was sprayed with Windsor & Newton all-purpose high-gloss varnish.
Disney's Aladdin and this design belong to Disney.